Saint Martin Island: A Gem of the Bay of Bengal Discover the unspoiled beauty of Saint Martin’s Island with our comprehensive travel guidelines. From how to get there, things to do, and where to stay, plan your trip to this stunning island with ease.
Saint Martin’s Island, located in the Bay of Bengal, is a small coral island that boasts unspoiled natural beauty, pristine beaches, and crystal-clear waters. It is the only coral island in Bangladesh, and the perfect destination for those seeking peace, tranquility, and relaxation. In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive travel guideline to Saint Martin’s Island, including how to get there, things to do, and where to stay.
- Best Time to Visit Saint Martin’s Island
- How to Reach Saint Martin’s Island
- Accommodation on Saint Martin’s Island
- Things to Do on Saint Martin’s Island
- Places to Visit on Saint Martin’s Island
- Food to Try on Saint Martin’s Island
- Safety Tips for Travelers on Saint Martin’s Island
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Best Time to Visit Saint Martin Island:
The best time to visit Saint Martin’s Island is from November to February when the weather is dry and pleasant. The temperature during this time ranges from 20°C to 28°C, making it ideal for outdoor activities. The monsoon season, from June to September, should be avoided, as heavy rainfall can disrupt transportation and affect sightseeing.
How to Reach Saint Martin Island:
By Water: The only way to reach Saint Martin’s Island is by water. You can take a ferry or a speedboat from Teknaf, a town located in the southeastern part of Bangladesh. The ferry ride takes around 3-4 hours, while the speedboat takes around 1.5-2 hours.
By Air: The nearest airport to Saint Martin’s Island is Cox’s Bazar International Airport. From there, you can take a taxi or a bus to Teknaf and then take a ferry or speedboat to the island. The nearest tourist place is Cox’s Bazar Sea Beach.
Accommodation in Saint Martin Island:
Saint Martin’s Island offers limited accommodation options, but you can still find a few budget-friendly guesthouses and cottages. Some of the popular places to stay on the island are:
- Coral View Resort – This beachfront resort offers a variety of rooms and cottages, some with ocean views. It features a restaurant, bar, and 24-hour front desk.
- Saint Martin Resort – This resort has its own private beach and offers various room types. It also features a restaurant, garden, and a 24-hour front desk.
- Blue Marine Resort – Located on the west side of the island, this resort offers beachfront cottages and rooms. It has a restaurant, a garden, and a terrace.
- Hotel Diamond Palace – This hotel offers a range of room types, some with balconies and sea views. It has a restaurant, garden, and a 24-hour front desk.
- Hotel Green Hill – This hotel is located on a hill with panoramic views of the island. It offers various room types, a restaurant, and a 24-hour front desk.
Things to Do on Saint Martin Island:
Relax on the Beaches: The island has some of the most beautiful beaches in Bangladesh. Spend your time relaxing on the beach, sunbathing, or swimming in crystal-clear waters.
Go Snorkeling: Explore the underwater world by snorkeling. You can see a variety of marine life, including colorful fishes, corals, and starfishes.
Watch the Sunrise and Sunset: Witness the breathtaking view of the sunrise and sunset from the beach.
Places to Visit on Saint Martin Island:
- Saint Martin Beach – The island’s main attraction, Saint Martin Beach is known for its white sand and clear water. Visitors can swim, sunbathe, and enjoy the stunning views.
- Chera Dwip – A small uninhabited island located south of Saint Martin Island, Chera Dwip is a popular destination for tourists. It’s known for its serene and secluded beaches and crystal-clear water.
- Coconut Garden – A small garden located on the east side of the island, the Coconut Garden has a variety of coconut trees and other tropical plants. Visitors can take a walk through the garden and enjoy the peaceful surroundings.
- Marine Park – Located on the west side of the island, the Marine Park is a protected area that’s home to a variety of marine life. Visitors can go snorkeling or scuba diving to see colorful fish, coral, and other underwater creatures.
- Kala Pahar – A small hill located in the southern part of the island, Kala Pahar offers stunning panoramic views of the island and the surrounding ocean.
- Bangladesh Navy Camp – The Bangladesh Navy has a small camp on the island that visitors can tour. The camp has a small museum that displays historical artifacts and weapons.
- Go for a Village Tour: Take a tour of the local villages and learn about the lifestyle, culture, and traditions of the islanders.
Food to Try on Saint Martin Island:
The island has limited food options, but you can still enjoy some delicious local dishes.
Fresh Seafood: Being an island, Saint Martin’s offers an abundance of fresh seafood. Some of the must-try dishes include grilled fish, prawns, lobster, and crab.
Coconut Water: Enjoy the refreshing and hydrating coconut water, which is available everywhere on the island.
Samosas: Try the local samosas, which are crispy and savory snacks filled with spicy potatoes or meat.
Burmese Food: You can also try Burmese food, which is popular on the island. Some of the dishes to try are Burmese chicken curry and Burmese biryani.
Safety Tips for Travelers in Saint Martin Island:
- Be cautious while swimming in the sea, as the currents can be strong.
- Avoid traveling during the monsoon season as it can be dangerous due to rough seas and heavy rainfall.
- Keep yourself hydrated and protected from the sun, as it can get hot during the day.
- Respect the local customs and culture, and dress modestly when visiting local villages.
- Don’t litter on the beaches or in the sea, and be mindful of the environment.
Q. Is Saint Martin’s Island worth visiting?
A. Yes, Saint Martin’s Island is a beautiful destination that offers stunning beaches, crystal-clear waters, and plenty of outdoor activities.
Q. Is Saint Martin’s Island safe for tourists?
A. yes, Saint Martin’s Island is safe for tourists. However, visitors are advised to take precautions, such as avoiding venturing into the water at night, as
Q. How long should I stay on Saint Martin’s Island?
A. A minimum of two nights is recommended to experience the island’s beauty fully and to take part in outdoor activities.
Q. Are there ATMs on Saint Martin’s Island?
A. No, there are no ATMs on the island. It is advised to carry enough cash.
Q. What is the best time to visit Saint Martin’s Island?
A. The best time to visit Saint Martin’s Island is between November and February when the weather is dry and pleasant. During this time, the waters are clear and ideal for snorkeling and diving. However, it is important to check the weather conditions in advance, as there may be occasional storms during the monsoon season.
Q. What should I bring when visiting Saint Martin’s Island?
A. Visitors to Saint Martin’s Island should bring appropriate clothing, such as light and airy clothing for the day and warm clothing for the evening. Sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses are also essential to protect against the sun. Snorkeling gear and beach towels can be rented on the island, but visitors may prefer to bring their own equipment.
Q. Is there a medical facility on Saint Martin’s Island?
A. Yes, there is a basic medical facility on Saint Martin’s Island, but it is recommended that visitors bring any necessary medications with them. In case of a medical emergency, it may be necessary to be transported to the mainland for treatment.
Q. Are there any restrictions for tourists on Saint Martin’s Island?
A. Tourists are advised to respect the local customs and traditions on Saint Martin’s Island. This includes avoiding loud and disruptive behavior and respecting the natural environment by not littering or damaging the coral reef. It is also important to obtain permission before taking photographs of local residents or their homes.
Saint Martin’s Island, also known as Narikel Jinjira, is a small island located in the Bay of Bengal, south of Bangladesh. It is a popular tourist destination known for its pristine beaches, crystal clear waters, and colorful coral reefs.
In conclusion, Saint Martin’s Island is a must-visit destination for anyone who loves the beach and the sea. It offers a unique and unforgettable experience with its natural beauty and warm hospitality. Visitors can enjoy a range of activities such as swimming, sunbathing, snorkeling, and scuba diving. The island’s rich marine life and diverse ecosystem make it an ideal spot for nature lovers and adventure seekers.
Despite its popularity, Saint Martin’s Island has managed to maintain its pristine beauty and charm. However, it is important for visitors to respect the island’s fragile environment and to practice responsible tourism. By doing so, we can ensure that this beautiful island remains a gem in the Bay of Bengal for generations to come.